Holihate

6.20.2010

I hate holidays.

I especially hate the ones that plant seeds of expectations in people's minds: Mother's Day, Father's Day, Valentine's Day. I know I've blogged about this before in regards to Valentine's Day, but the same sentiment is shared for them all. Stores live for these days to lure in customers with promotions and sales. Besides the occasional luxurious day off, I see no other purpose for holidays. They hurt people's wallets and emotions.

You're obligated to buy a gift. If not, your lover will hold a grudge and maybe just break up with you. Moms and dads will think you don't love them.

Emotional sons and daughters without mothers or fathers will weep in the pain of absence (death, distance, etc) or froth at the mouth in anger (deadbeat/absent parents, divorce). These parent holidays are just reminders of how much your parents suck or how much you should be loving them. A reminder is not needed if you have dealt with them all your life.

Other holidays of no meaning:

St. Patrick's Day: Just an excuse to go pub-crawling and get drunk.
President's Day: Why?
Columbus Day: Unnecessary

I know this is a little angry, but I'm just tired of seeing Macy's, Sears, and JCPenney commercials trying to convince me to buy polos, shorts and fishing rods for my dad.

0 comments: